Tuesday, December 15, 2009

It's the holiday season...

The busy holiday season has begun. This year it’s even busier because of our upcoming wedding in just about three weeks. Can you believe it? I can’t. It feels like just yesterday we were engaged. I can’t believe that was nearly a year ago.

This year we decided to put lights on the house. Not really the smartest thing to do with all of our upcoming tasks but since there have been more homes built near us, we don’t want to be the scrooge of the street. I made two wreaths to go on our front windows. I think it turned out pretty good. We decided to add more lights to our yard each year. I have fond memories when I was little of driving around looking at Christmas lights. I wish people still decorated like they used to. I’ve noticed that the more we put up, the more our neighbors put up. So perhaps our holiday cheer will spread next year.








Two weeks ago, Elisha had a 30th birthday party for Kevin. The theme was “Kevin conquers old age.” She made a gold medal cake (which is also appropriate because of his athleticism…Mr. Iron Man) and since we were in charge of games, we brought a trophy piñata. Our piñata was not filled with candy though…little bottles of liquor made everyone happy.




Being the creative person she is, Elisha made “geezer” food (applesauce shots, prunes, etc) and “whippersnapper” food (all of Kevin’s favorites in appetizer form). The liquor was even old man themed – grandpa’s coffee was pretty darn good!





My favorite part of the night was when Kevin was hitting the piñata with a cane and it exploded everywhere. He then went over the neighbor’s yard and was bent over with the cane in the dark looking for the little bottles. He looked like such an old man.






Unfortunately, Mark hasn’t sent me any of the “people” pictures so those will have to wait!

This past weekend was a very special one. Robert graduated with his Masters in Public Administration from the University of Texas at Arlington’s School of Urban and Public Affairs. He has worked on his degree full time for the past two years while working full time. I’m really proud of him and I know it was a very happy night for him as well.





Saturday night I took him for a night at the Fort Worth Omni, dinner at Bob’s Steak and Chop House and gelato. Definitely a great night (aside from the lack of sleep due to holiday revelers). We probably won’t be staying at the Omni again…back to the Worthington for us! You just can’t beat the Worthington’s location downtown.





Sunday was a really busy day filled with brunch, visiting my dad and grandma, helping Robert’s mom pick her wedding attire, seeing New Moon with Courtney and dinner with the Burys (and Courtney) at Taverna. It was definitely a late night…we shut everything down.

This week is already incredibly busy. A lot of final things must be done this week for the wedding (including payments – that will give you a heart attack!), everyone at work is sprinting before vacation sets in and I’m not nearly done with Christmas presents. Oh, and we’re having our little cookie party this weekend and Shawn’s birthday!

I’m so thankful that even though this has been a very busy time, we’re still able to stop every once and a while and enjoy our time with friends and family.

No comments: