Sunday, October 25, 2009

Around the lake tonight...

We decided to take a camping trip to Possum Kingdom Lake State Park (PK) this weekend with Courtney, Kevin and Elisha. (Their dog, Lincoln, joined us too. Molly and Jack lounged at the pet resort for the weekend.)

The trip started on Friday night after work. We loaded up the 4runner and the FJ and headed for a quick dinner stop and then off to PK. Lucky for us, Kevin had driven out earlier in the day and staked out the best camp site for us. When I say best, I'm not kidding. The site was huge and it overlooked the lake. It even included a big outcropping of rocks you could climb down to the lake.

We arrived well into the night and had fun putting all three tents together and getting a fire started. The stars were amazing that night - I think I saw as many stars there as I see in the British Virgin Islands when out on the boat. Just so you know how far out we were....the nearest grocery store was 40 miles away. That night was freezing. But we froze in comfort on our air mattress :)




The next day we woke up and made a yummy breakfast...egg taquitos, pancakes, fruit, etc....we definitely ate well on this trip thanks to our giant deer cooler and the favorable temperatures.

I took a towel down to the lake and laid it on one of the big flat rocks and read my book for a while. So relaxing. I felt like I was the only one in the world. We went on a trail hike and eventually found a very awesome overlook that had a great view of everything. We found a skeleton of something on this hike...definitely a small animal. And we picked up some sticks for our s'mores.

It really warmed up on Saturday (into the 80's) and the weather was perfect. That evening Robert spent a few hours trying to make fire the primitive way. Kevin made a roaring fire the modern way. That fire was so warm and the weather was so perfect that we all began stripping off our layers that night. Absolutely perfect. It only really started to get cold well into Sunday morning.

This trip was so much fun and it was a much needed break from everything that has been going on lately. Now we just need to figure out where our next camping trip will be!

No comments: